Love crocheting new and different crochet stitches? Learn how to crochet the waffle stitch with this picture tutorial.
I will show you how to crochet the waffle stitch in this picture tutorial using worsted weight medium yarn. There are step by step pictures on how do crochet this stitch.
This stitch has a raised box texture. It is great for blankets and kitchen items, like towels and dishcloths.
I have included some links to crochet patterns using the waffle stitch. There are several different patterns for you to try.
Learn Other Crochet Stitches
Learn How to Crochet the Waffle Stitch
Abbreviations – US Terms
- ch/chs – chain/chains
- st/sts – stitch/stitches
- dc – double crochet stitch
- fpdc – front post double crochet stitch
front post double crochet stitch – yarn over, insert the hook behind the post from the front across the post and through the other side, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull thru 2 loops on your hook, yo, pull thru remaining two loops on your hook. For more info front post double crochet stitch, from yarnspirations.com.
You can make a larger or smaller items by using 3 + 2 chain. The chain counts as the first double crochet of the row.
How to Crochet the Waffle Stitch Instructions
Chain a multiple of 3 + 2.
Row 1: dc in 4th ch from hook and in each st across, turn.
Row 2: Chain 2, *fpdc in next st, dc in next 2 sts, repeat from * until the last 2 sts; fpdc in next st, dc in top of ch, turn.
Row 3: Chain 2, *dc in next st, fpdc in the next 2 sts, repeat from *until the last 2 sts; dc in next st, dc in top of ch, turn.
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have the length you want.
Photo & Written Tutorial of Waffle Crochet Stitch – Step by Step
Chain a multiple of 3 + 2. Example: (3 x 10) + 2 = Chain 32
Double crochet in the 4th chain from the hook and in each chain. Turn at the end of the row.
Chain 2. Front post double crochet in the 2nd stitch. Double crochet in the next 2 stitches. Repeat 1 front post double crochet and then 2 double crochet stitches until you reach the last 2 stitches of the row.
Front post double crochet in the next stitch and double crochet in the last stitch. Turn. See written description above for Front post double crochet.
Chain 2. Double Crochet in the 2nd stitch. In the 3rd and 4th stitch, front post double crochet. Then repeat: double crochet in the next stitch. front double crochet in the next 2 stitches. Turn.
Repeat Steps 3 & 4 until you have the length you want.
More Waffle Stitch Crochet Patterns
- Double Thick Waffle Stitch Hot Pad Pattern
- Waffle Stitch Dish Towel
- Washcloth Waffle Stitch Pattern
- Blue Ombre Waffle Stitch Blanket
- Free Waffle Stitch Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Easy Waffle Baby Blanket Pattern
- Arcade Waffle Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Watson Waffle Stitch Hat Pattern
- Waffle Stitch Hat Pattern – Video
- Crochet Waffle Stitch Scarf Pattern
Pin For Later
More Free Crochet Blanket Patterns
- Blue Dapple Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Free Gray Blue Skies Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
- Easy Gray & Pink Stripe Crocheted Baby Blanket Pattern
- Herringbone Stripe Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern – Bernat Blanket Yarn
- Dainty Dot Crochet Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Leaf Ripple Throw Crochet Pattern
- Ombre Textured Throw Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Gray Stripe Chunky Throw Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Blue Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Pink Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Ocean Stripe Baby Blanket – free crochet pattern
- Granny Ripple Baby Blanket -free crochet pattern
- Hugs and Kisses Ripple Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Harlequin Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Jungle Friend Baby Blanket– free pattern
- Navy Gingham Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Waffle Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Purple Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Blue Beautiful Baby Blanket
- Diamond Crocheted Baby Blanket Pattern
- Pink Gingham Baby Blanket
Other Free Crochet Patterns
- Crunch Stitch Potholder Crochet Pattern
- Half Double Herringbone Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Crunch Stitch Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Half Double Potholder pattern
- Half double crochet dishcloth pattern
- 123 Sedge Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Simple Double Thick Potholder
- Creamsicle Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Herringbone Dish Cloth
- Even Berry Dishcloth
- Blue Wave Dishtowel
- Easy Bunny
- What size to make your blanket?
- Rainbow Pillow – free pattern
- Star stitch Pouch – free pattern
- Free Unicorn Dreams Baby Blanket
- Rainbow Heart square – free pattern
- Jungle Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Puppy lovey – free pattern
- Free Bulky Hat Patterns
- Dino Patterns -Free
- Free Market Tote Bag
- Nesting Basket – Free Pattern
- Cowl – Free pattern
- Ear Warmer – Free pattern
- Christmas Tree – free pattern
- Christmas -free patterns