I love the woven texture of this easy stitch, the half double herringbone crochet stitch. This stitch is an easy variation of the basic half double crochet stitch.
The variation of the stitch gives a slight slant to the the stitch that gives it a more woven appearance. I like that it looks more like a woven texture than just the plain half double crochet stitch.
In this tutorial you will learn how to do the easy variation. There are free crochet patterns for you to try too.
The abbreviation for the half double herringbone stitch is HHDC. This stitch is great for most items like: ear warmers, washcloths, blankets, sweaters, and more.
Other Crochet Stitch Tutorials
There may be affiliate links in this post. I will receive a small commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you. Any purchase you make through these links helps support my blog.
How to Tutorial for the Herringbone Half Double Crochet Stitch
Written Step By Step Instructions
- Chain any number for the starting chain.
- In the 3rd chain from the hook HHDC ( yarn over, insert your hook into the stitch. Yo and pull back through the stitch and the next loop on the hook. Yarn over, pull through remaining two loops on the hook.) Repeat for each chain. Chain 2 and turn.
- In the 2nd stitch HHDC ( yarn over, insert your hook into the stitch. Yo and pull back through the stitch and the next loop on the hook. Yo, pull through remaining two loops on the hook.) Repeat HHDC for each stitch. Chain 2 and turn.
- Repeat step 3. until you have the length you want.
This stitch is easy to do. The hardest thing is to remember to go through just 1 loop and not all of them like the regular stitch.
The stitch becomes easier as you do more rows. This is a quick and easy stitch.
Crochet Half Double Herringbone Written Free Pattern
Abbreviations – US Terms
- yo – yarn over
- hhdc – herringbone half double stitch
special stitch -herringbone half double crochet stitch – yarn over, insert your hook into the stitch. Yo and pull back through the stitch and the next loop on the hook. Yo, pull through remaining two loops on the hook. Video How to
Chain any number for the starting chain.
Row 1: In 3rd chain from the hook, hhdc. Repeat across to the end. Chain 2, turn.
Row 2: In the stitch next to the chain, hhdc. Repeat across to the end.Chain 2, turn.
Repeat Row 2 until you have the length you wan. Cut yarn weave in ends.
Looking for more projects you the herringbone half double crochet stitch (HHDC)? Try these fun and easy crochet projects: Herringbone Double Thick Potholder, Half Double Herringbone Dishcloth, or Peachy Stripe Baby Blanket.
Pin for Later