Looking for a free double thick potholder pattern to try? This Simple Double Thick Potholder crochet pattern is a great project to try.
This basic double thick hot pad pattern uses the slip stitch, the chain stitch and the single crochet stitch, great for a beginner. The double thick crochet potholder pattern is a simple repeat. Great for watching TV and crocheting.
These double thick potholders are easy and quick to make. They work great and are durable. Double thick crocheted pads are great gifts too. You can choose a color to go with their décor or a neutral that would go with anyone’s style. They are practical too.
You want to make sure you use 100% cotton yarn, so there is no chance of melting yarn. Lily Sugar n Cream works well and is easy to get.
You do not use all of the yarn. so what can you do with the left over scraps of cotton yarn. Make an ice pop holder or face cleaning pads.
I been making all kinds of different dishcloths too with cotton yarn free herringbone dish cloths crochet pattern, creamsicle dishcloth pattern, and even berry dishcloth so I decided to do another set in a different stitch.
I also made this blue wave dishtowel using the ripple stitch.
More Easy and Quick Double Potholder Crochet Patterns – Hot Pad
- Textured Double Thick Potholder Crochet Pattern
- Crunch Stitch Double Thick Potholder Crochet Pattern
- Half Double Herringbone Potholder Crochet Pattern
- Simple Double Thick Potholder
There are affiliate links in this post. I will receive a small commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
Any purchase you make through these links helps support my blog.
Scroll Down for Pattern – Free Printable Pdf at the bottom of pattern
How to Make a Free Cotton Simple Double Thick Potholder Crochet Pattern
- tapestry needle
- 5, 3.75 mm crochet hook
- 1 – 3 oz Lily Sugar n Cream in Moondance any other worsted weight 100% cotton yarn approx 2.2 oz
- 1 – 4 oz Lily Sugar n Cream in Indigo any other worsted weight 100% cotton yarn approx 2.2 oz
Simple Double Thick Potholder Single Crochet Stitch Pattern
Abbreviations – US Terms
- yo – yarn over
- sl – slip stitch
- sc – single crochet
You can make a larger or smaller potholder by using any number of chains.
Free printable pattern at the bottom of the pattern. Just click on link and print pdf out.
For it to be a thick potholder you need a tight tension. If yours is loose you will want to go down a hook size.
Approx. 7.25 in x 7.25 in ( 18.41 cm x 18.41 cm)
Row 1: In 2nd chain from the hook, sc in each chain until the end. Add 1 extra sc in the last chain. Continue around sc in each chain on the opposite side. Add one extra sc at the last sc.
Continue around in a continuous round until the two side meet and it forms a square. 20 rows total.
Then at the corner where the 2 sides meet chain 20. Attach to the start of the chain with a slip stitch. Slip stitch through both single crochet stitches long the two edges until you have closed up the seam.
Cut and tie off. Weave in the ends using a tapestry needle.
Pin for Later
Other Free Crochet Patterns
- 123 Sedge Stitch Dishcloth
- Ice pop holder
- Creamsicle Dishcloth
- Herringbone Dish Cloth
- Even Berry Dishcloth
- Blue Wave Dishtowel
- Leaf Ripple Throw
- Gray Stripe Chunky Throw Blanket
- Easy Bunny
- Blue Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Pink Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Ocean Stripe Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Granny Ripple Baby Blanket -free pattern
- Hugs and Kisses Ripple Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Harlequin Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Jungle Friend Baby Blanket– free pattern
- Navy Gingham Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Waffle Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Purple Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Blue Beautiful Baby Blanket
- Diamond Baby Blanket
- Pink Gingham Baby Blanket
- Rainbow Pillow – free pattern
- Star stitch Pouch – free pattern
- Free Unicorn Dreams Baby Blanket
- Rainbow Heart square – free pattern
- Jungle Baby Blanket
- Puppy lovey – free pattern
- Free Bulky Hat Patterns
- Dino Patterns -Free
- Free Market Tote Bag
- Nesting Basket – Free Pattern
- Cowl – Free pattern
- Ear Warmer – Free pattern
- Christmas Tree – free pattern
- Christmas -free patterns