Looking for some granny square free crochet patterns? There are all kinds of different crochet patterns and granny squares for you to try.
Are granny squares hard to make? No, they are a great crochet project to try after you have learned the basic crochet stitches, single, double, and chain stitch.
Classic granny squares use the double crochet stitch, which is an easy basic stitch. There is a video link below on how to make a granny square, as well as, beginner written tutorials.
There are many different variation of the crochet granny square block. I have shared a bunch of different blocks at the bottom of the post, as well as, more free crochet granny square patterns.
There are sweaters, blankets, ottomans, and more crochet patterns to try. Learn how to make the basic granny square and then create some of these colorful crochet projects.
How do You Crochet a Granny Square for Beginners?
- How to Crochet a Granny Square for Beginners – Video
- Basics of Crochet Granny Squares Written Tutorial
- How to Make a Classic Crocheted Granny Square
How many crochet granny squares does it take to make a blanket? It would depend on what size of square you want to start with. I made 5 inch squares to make a small 30 in x 30 in baby blanket. I would need approximately 36 crocheted granny squares.
You count how many crochet granny squares you need in a row (6 squares to make 30 in using 5 in square). Then count how many rows you need ( 6 rows of 5 in squares.) Then multiple the numbers to get how many crochet granny squares.
Basic Granny Square Patterns
Learn how to make this easy beginner crochet pattern using double crochet stitches and chain stitches. There are lots of different versions of the crochet granny square pattern plus lots of pattern using them.
Learn how to make a solid crocheted granny square, one with less holes than the original pattern. Here is a solid granny square with no gaps.
Granny Square Free Crochet Patterns
Take what you have learned about making crocheted granny squares and make a colorful sweater. This crochet blog has a lot of different ways to use granny squares, such as, granny square baskets and crochet granny square dishcloths.
This colorful crochet granny square block pattern looks like a flower. It would make a great crocheted springtime blanket.
Try a large crocheted granny square blanket pattern. In this crochet pattern you make a one large granny square instead of a bunch of smaller ones.
Try this pretty rainbow puff granny square pattern. There are other versions too on this blog.
Learn how to make this sunburst variation of a granny square with this pattern. You can turn it into a bag or blanket.
Make a granny square tote bag with this colorful pattern.
Make this variation on a classic granny square. The blanket has a great modern look in a solid color.
More Granny Square Block Patterns
- 8. Circle in a Granny Square Pattern
- 9. Raindrops Square Pattern
- 10. How to Crochet a Granny Square for Beginners
- 11. How to Crochet a Solid Granny Square – Video
- 12. Circle Granny Square
- 13. Two Color Granny Square Pattern
- 14. Granny Square Heart
- 15. Sunny Granny Square Pattern
- 16. Circle to Square Pattern
- 17. Garden Granny Square
- 18. Flower Square
- 19. Free Spiral Granny Square Pattern
- 20. Elloth Granny Square
- 21. Clover Granny Square Pattern
- 22. Ferris Granny Square
- 23. Mountain Wildflower Granny Square Crochet Pattern
More Granny Square Crochet Patterns
- 24. Free Ferris Wheel Shawl Granny Pattern
- 25. Granny Square Pillow Pattern
- 26. Blanket Cardigan Granny Square Pattern
- 27. Granny Square Bag Free Crochet Pattern
- 28. Free Simple Granny Square Blanket Pattern
- 29. Granny Square Dishcloth
- 30. Ottoman Granny Square Crochet Pattern
- 31. Basket Granny Square Free Crochet Pattern
- 32.Random Granny Square Blanket Crochet Pattern
- 33. How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket
- 34. Dahlia Granny Square Blanket
- 35. Granny’s Baby Log Cabin Blanket
Pin for Later
More Free Crochet Blanket Patterns
- Gray Modern Chunky Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern – Bulky Yarn
- Blue Dapple Crochet Baby Blanket – super bulky yarn
- Gray Blue Skies Crochet Baby Blanket – Bernat Blanket Yarn
- Easy Gray & Pink Stripe Baby Blanket Pattern – chunky yarn blanket
- Herringbone Stripe Baby Blanket – Bernat Blanket Yarn
- Dainty Dot Baby Blanket
- Leaf Ripple Throw – Velvet Yarn
- Ombre Textured Throw Blanket
- Gray Stripe Chunky Throw Blanket
- Blue Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Pink Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Ocean Stripe Baby Blanket – free pattern – Bulky Blanket
- Granny Ripple Baby Blanket -free pattern
- Hugs and Kisses Ripple Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Harlequin Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Jungle Friend Baby Blanket– free pattern
- Navy Gingham Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Waffle Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Purple Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Blue Beautiful Baby Blanket
- Diamond Baby Blanket
- Pink Gingham Baby Blanket