Looking for some granny square free crochet patterns? There are all kinds of different crochet patterns and granny squares for you to try.
Are granny squares hard to make? No, they are a great crochet project to try after you have learned the basic crochet stitches, single, double, and chain stitch.
Classic granny squares use the double crochet stitch, which is an easy basic stitch. There is a video link below on how to make a granny square, as well as, beginner written tutorials.
There are many different variation of the granny square block. I have shared a bunch of different blocks at the bottom of the post, as well as, more free granny square crochet patterns.
There are sweaters, blankets, ottomans, and more crochet patterns to try. Learn how to make the basic granny square and then create some of these colorful crochet projects.
How do You Crochet a Granny Square for Beginners?
- How to Crochet a Granny Square for Beginners – Video
- Basics of Granny Squares Written Tutorial
- How to Make a Classic Granny Square
How many Granny Squares does it take to make a blanket? It would depend on what size of square you want to start with. I made 5 inch squares to make a small 30 in x 30 in baby blanket. I would need approximately 36 squares.
You count how many squares you need in a row (6 squares to make 30 in using 5 in square). Then count how many rows you need ( 6 rows of 5 in squares.) Then multiple the numbers to get how many granny squares.
Granny Square Free Crochet Patterns
1. Cardigan Granny Square Crochet Pattern
Take what you have learned about making granny squares and make a colorful sweater. This crochet blog has a lot of different ways to use granny squares, such as, baskets and dishcloths.
2. Springtime Granny Square Crochet Pattern
This colorful granny square block looks like a flower. It would make a great springtime blanket.
3. Granny Square Blanket
Try a large granny square blanket pattern. In this pattern you make a one large granny square instead of a bunch of smaller ones.
4. Rainbow Puff Granny Square Pattern
Try this pretty rainbow puff granny square pattern. There are other versions too on this blog.
More Granny Square Block Patterns
- 5. Clover Granny Square Pattern
- 6. Ferris Granny Square
- 7. Mountain Wildflower Granny Square Crochet Pattern
- 8. Circle in a Granny Square Pattern
- 9. Raindrops Square Pattern
- 10. How to Crochet a Granny Square for Beginners
- 11. How to Crochet a Solid Granny Square – Video
- 12. Circle Granny Square
More Granny Square Crochet Patterns
- Ferris Wheel Shawl
- Granny Square Pillow Pattern
- Blanket Cardigan Granny Square Pattern
- Granny Square Bag Free Crochet Pattern
- Simple Granny Square Blanket
- Granny Square Dishcloth
- Ottoman Granny Square Crochet Pattern
- Basket Granny Square Free Crochet Pattern
- Random Granny Square Blanket Crochet Pattern
Pin for Later
More Free Crochet Blanket Patterns
- Gray Modern Chunky Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern – Bulky Yarn
- Blue Dapple Crochet Baby Blanket – super bulky yarn
- Gray Blue Skies Crochet Baby Blanket – Bernat Blanket Yarn
- Easy Gray & Pink Stripe Baby Blanket Pattern – chunky yarn blanket
- Herringbone Stripe Baby Blanket – Bernat Blanket Yarn
- Dainty Dot Baby Blanket
- Leaf Ripple Throw – Velvet Yarn
- Ombre Textured Throw Blanket
- Gray Stripe Chunky Throw Blanket
- Blue Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Pink Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Ocean Stripe Baby Blanket – free pattern – Bulky Blanket
- Granny Ripple Baby Blanket -free pattern
- Hugs and Kisses Ripple Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Harlequin Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Jungle Friend Baby Blanket– free pattern
- Navy Gingham Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Waffle Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Purple Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Blue Beautiful Baby Blanket
- Diamond Baby Blanket
- Pink Gingham Baby Blanket
Other Free Crochet Patterns
- Crunch Stitch Potholder Crochet Pattern
- Half Double Herringbone Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Crunch Stitch Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Half Double Potholder pattern
- Half double crochet dishcloth pattern
- 123 Sedge Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Simple Double Thick Potholder
- Creamsicle Dishcloth
- Herringbone Dish Cloth
- Even Berry Dishcloth
- Blue Wave Dishtowel
- Easy Bunny
- What size to make your blanket?
- Rainbow Pillow – free pattern
- Star stitch Pouch – free pattern
- Free Unicorn Dreams Baby Blanket
- Rainbow Heart square – free pattern
- Jungle Baby Blanket
- Puppy lovey – free pattern
- Free Bulky Hat Patterns
- Dino Patterns -Free
- Free Market Tote Bag
- Nesting Basket – Free Pattern
- Cowl – Free pattern
- Ear Warmer – Free pattern
- Christmas Tree – free pattern
- Christmas -free patterns
- Autumn Sunset Crochet Scarf Pattern