Wondering, what size should you make your next crochet baby blanket? There are different common baby blanket sizes in both inches and centimeters.
The baby blanket sizes vary by country and taste. This table of baby blanket sizes will give you an idea of what size to make for your next crochet afghan or knitting blanket project.
If you have been wondering what size crocheted baby blanket to make in centimeters or inches check out the list below. There are mattress sizes in both centimeters and inches too.
Still wondering what size blanket you should make for a baby? It really depends on your purpose. Pediatricians recommend that there is nothing in the baby’s crib until they are 1 year old.
I used a 29 x 35 in blanket for over the car seat when we were out when it was cold and a 20 in to cover my little girl in the car seat. I didn’t really use any other blankets besides that.
You might wander if a chunky or super chunky blanket would work. In my opinion you could use it as a cover for the car seat or tummy time on the floor but it would probably be too thick and heavy otherwise. A chunky blanket would make a great gift for when they were a little older.
American Standard Baby Blanket Sizes
- Lovey: 14 in x 14 in – great for cuddling (35.56 cm)
- Large Lovey: 20 in x 20 in – great for cuddling and covering a newborn in the car seat (50.8 cm)
- Preemie Blanket: 18 in x 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Receiving Blanket: 30 in x 30 in – a great size for a newborn (76.2 cm)
- Baby Blanket: 29 in x 35 in – a great size for a new baby with room to grow (73.66 cm x 88.9 cm)
- Swaddling Blanket: 40 in x 40 in- for wrapping a newborn up tight usually made of gauze or flannel (101.6 cm)
- Crib: 45 in x 60 in (114.3 cm x 152.4 cm)
Of course, these sizes are just standard baby blanket sizes and you wan make them to fix your needs and size. My size choice also depends on how much yarn I have left and the repeat of the pattern.
Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns To Try
I love the texture of the navy border using front and back post stitches. Change to pink and it would make a perfect gift for a little girl.
Crochet Baby blanket size 81 cm x 97 cm or 32 in by 38 in
A simple bulky free Bernat yarn blanket using ocean, a pretty multicolored yarn. This pretty chunky crochet baby blanket pattern uses just 2 easy stitches so it would be great for your first project using Bernat Blanket Yarn.
A soft chunky clouds pink and white blanket with a pretty pink variegated yarn. This blanket yarn crochet patterns using triple crochet stitches to form rows of puffy clouds. The free baby blanket pattern uses just two crochet stitches.
A make a colorful and easy crochet baby blanket using Bernat Pop Yarn. This is a worsted weight or medium weight yarn.
A pretty lightweight baby blanket in an easy self striping yarn with a delicate texture. This blanket was make using gauge 3 yarn.
A pretty stripe blanket with a simple box stitch repeat made with a soft worsted weight yarn.
This bulky yarn baby crochet blanket pattern is made using Bernat Blanket Yarn in self striping.
Make this super chunky baby boy crochet pattern with self striping Bernat Blanket Yarn. The pattern has a simple repeat in this free crocheted afghan pattern.
This easy striped blanket is made with worsted weight yarn.
Pin for Later
Other Free Crochet Patterns
- 49 Boy Crochet baby blanket patterns
- 49 Gir Crochetl baby blanket patterns
- Creamsicle Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Herringbone Dish Cloth Crochet Pattern
- Even Berry Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Blue Wave Dishtowel
- Leaf Ripple Throw Crochet Pattern
- Gray Stripe Chunky Throw Blanket
- Easy Bunny
- Granny Ripple Baby Blanket -free pattern
- Hugs and Kisses Ripple Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Harlequin Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Jungle Friend Baby Blanket– free pattern
- Navy Gingham Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Waffle Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Purple Dreams Baby Blanket – free pattern
- Blue Beautiful Baby Blanket
- Diamond Baby Blanket
- Pink Gingham Baby Blanket
- Rainbow Pillow – free pattern
- Star stitch Pouch – free pattern
- Free Unicorn Dreams Baby Blanket
- Rainbow Heart square – free pattern
- Jungle Baby Blanket
- Puppy lovey – free pattern
- Free Bulky Hat Patterns
- Dino Patterns -Free
- Free Market Tote Bag
- Nesting Basket – Free Pattern
- Cowl – Free pattern
- Ear Warmer – Free pattern
- Christmas Tree – free pattern
- Christmas -free patterns