Want to learn how to crochet the linen stitch? The linen stitch, also know as, the moss or granite stitch is an easy basic crochet stitch that is great for beginners and more advanced crocheters.
The line stitch is a woven looking crochet stitch that is made up of the most basic stitches. This crochet stitch using the single and chain crochet stitch, the first stitches you learn. The linen stitch crochet has even sides.
Learning how to crochet the linen stitch is easy. There are written and video tutorials below to learn the linen crochet stitch.
This crochet stitch makes a reversible line like pattern. It is a simple repeat. The moss stitch is great for watching TV and crocheting, though it takes longer than some stitches.
There are affiliate links in this post. I will receive a small commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you. Any purchase you make through these links helps support my blog.
Learn How to do the Crochet Linen Stitch – Picture Tutorial – Left Handed for Beginners
- Chain an even number for the chain.
- The last stitch is in between the turning chain (chain 2) and last sc.
Tie a slip knot. Make a loop that forms an X at the bottom.
Take one of the tails and make a loop and pull it through the first loop while holding on to the opposite tail of yarn.
Pull short tail to make it tighten around crochet hook.
Next, chain 36.
Insert hook into the 4th chain from the hook. Make one single crochet in the chain.
Then skip 1 chain and single crochet, chain 1 in the next. Keep repeating the skip 1 chain and single crochet, chain 1 in the next until you reach the last chain.
Single crochet in the last chain. Chain 2 and turn.
Single crochet, chain 1 in the first chain space you made in the row below. Next, skip one single crochet. Then single crochet, chain 1 in the chain space.
Keep skipping one single crochet and crocheting one single crochet stitch, chain 1 in the chain space until you reach the last stich.
The last single crochet goes between the last stitch and the chain 2 turning chain. Chain 2 and turn.
Keep repeating the last 2 rows until you have 34 rows or the dishcloth is square. Cut your yarn leaving a 4 in tail.
Tie a knot by put the tail in through the loop on your crochet and pull tight.
Then using a tapestry needle weave the yarn tail into your work. Make sure you don’t double back and go through the loop and know you just made.
Try to stay with the same color and the thickest part of the stitch. When done cut off the rest of the yarn close to your work. Weave the starting yarn tail in too.
Videos Learn How to – Crochet the Moss Stitch
Free Crochet the Linen Stitch Patterns
- 27 Moss Stitch Crochet Patterns – Free Ideas
- Linen Crochet Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Free Linen stitch scarf
- Moss stitch cowl
- Free Linen stitch ear warmer
- Striped Crochet Linen stitch chunky blanket pattern
- Simple Linen Stitch Blanket
- Temperature Linen Stitch Blanket
Pin for Later
Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns
- Over the Rainbow Dishcloth Pattern
- Easy Quick Crochet Dishcloth Free Pattern Double V Stitch
- Crossed Double Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Bean Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Wide Double Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Spider Stitch Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Even Moss Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Mesh Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Half Double Cluster Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Half Herringbone Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Crunch Stitch Potholder Crochet Pattern
- Half Double Herringbone Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Crunch Stitch Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
- Half Double Potholder pattern