New to crochet? Try some of these easy beginner crochet patterns. There are lots of crochet pattern ideas and projects to get you started.
Want to learn how to crochet for beginners? I have gathered tutorials and videos to share on how to crochet both right and left handed.
I will share my tips for crocheting and my free easy beginner crochet patterns. All my patterns tutorials will be shown left-handed but I will try to include a video or written tutorial link for right handed crocheters.
Crocheting is a great hobby. I think is easier to learn than knitting. All you need to crochet is a crochet hook and some yarn.
A great easy beginner crochet pattern project would be a crochet headband, crochet washcloth, mug rug, or a scarf. A simple beginner blanket would be a great next project like this blue and gray striped baby blanket or this how to crochet a blanket.
Easy Beginner Crochet Patterns, Ideas, and Projects
1. How to Crochet a Double Easy Beginner Crochet Baby Blanket Beginner Tutorial
This easy crochet blanket pattern for beginners is a great step by step tutorial on how to make a baby blanket. It shows all the steps to make a crocheted beginner blanket. It uses two of the most basic crochet stitches, single and double crochet. This crochet pattern is great to learn how to crochet a blanket.
2. Half Double Crochet Stitch
This is one of the best crochet stitches for blankets. The crochet stitch is simple to do and has a great texture. This stitch is great for showing off the yarn colors.
Learn to Crochet the Half Double Crochet Stitch – Right-Handed – Video
Learn to Crochet the Half Double Crochet Stitch – Left-Handed – Video
Blue Stripe Half Double Easy Beginner Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern Free PDF
This striped baby blanket pattern uses the half double crochet stitch in this basic pattern.
The yarn uses is a worsted weight gauge 4 yarn called It Feels Like Butta from Lion Brand Yarn. I love the softness of this unique tube yarn. It is easy to work with but does need to be tied carefully.
This crochet blanket would be a great baby shower gift. You could make it to match any theme.
3. Herringbone Double Crochet Easy Beginner Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
This is one of my favorite easy crochet for blankets. I think it is the best because it is an easy variation of the double crochet stitch but it has a great pattern to.
Modern Herringbone Chunky Throw Easy Beginner Crochet Blanket Pattern with bulky yarn
A free modern throw blanket pattern using the double herringbone stitch and Caron Chunky Cakes Yarn. This is a great beginner pattern using just one stitch and self-striping bulky yarn.
This is a great beginner blanket crochet pattern. It uses just one stitch in a simple repeat with a self-striping cake yarn.
4. Half Double Easy Beginner Crochet Herringbone Potholder Pattern
Learn how to crochet the herringbone half double crochet
5. Even Berry Easy Beginner Crochet Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
This crochet stitch is a combination of the even berry stitch with a single crochet in between. This crochet stitch makes a raised square pattern. It does not use a lot of yarn and has an easy repeat.
The stitch shows of the opposite side from where you are crocheting. It needs a row of single crochet between the rows of even berry.
Learn How to Crochet the Even Berry Right Handed
Pink Lemonade Easy Beginner Crochet Throw Blanket Pattern – Free Chunky Blanket Printable PDF
This crocheted throw or crib size blanket is made with Bernat Baby Blanket Yarn colors in Raspberry Kisses, White, and Buttercup. These colors are my daughter’s favorite colors.
This is made with stripes of the even berry and single crochet.
Ombre Easy Crocheted Throw Pattern
Make this ombre throw pattern using Red Heart Ombre Yarn. This is an easy pattern with repeatable textures.
6. Sedge Crochet Stitch Easy Beginner Crochet Pattern
This stitch is an easy combination of single, half double and double crochet stitches in an easy repeat. This stitch looks good in stripes with the colors interlocking.
Learn how to crochet the sedge
Pop of Color Crocheted Baby Blanket Pattern
Make this easy colorful crocheted baby blanket pattern using cake yarn. You get lots of color with few ends to weave in. This free printable pattern is an easy repeat.
Autumn Sunset Easy Beginner Striped Crochet Blanket Pattern
Make an easy striped afghan crochet pattern with free printable pattern. This colorful blanket is made with an easy repeat using Caron Paints Yarn.
7. Shell Crochet
I really like the shell stitch. It is and easy pattern but it looks more complicated. There is an easy two row repeat that works quickly.
Crocheted Chunky Pink Bubbles Baby Blanket Pattern- Simple Shell with Bulky Yarn
This free babies crochet blanket pattern is made with the classic shell using double crochet.
The super bulky yarn is a lovely coral pink ombre. It is from the Dapple Bernat Blanket Yarn color line.
This yarn make a soft chenille blanket. It works up quickly with this super chunky gauge 6 yarn
9. Front and Back Post Double Crochet
The front and back post double crochet stitches are great for blanket because they are simple variation of the double crochet stitches.
Instead of inserting the hook in the top of the stitch like you normally do, you crochet around the post of the stitch. This makes a raised stripe.
Striped Large Wool Crochet Blanket Pattern
This free printable crocheted blanket pattern is made using single and double crochet in an uncomplicated repeat of 3 colors. Try this chunky blanket pattern using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick. This blanket is a great throw size.
Seafoam Striped Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
10. Pink & Gray Stripe Easy Beginner Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
A pretty stripe blanket with a simple box stitch repeat made with a soft yarn.The box stitch is made using double crochet, so it is an easy repeat.
This blanket is made with a worsted weight gauge 4 yarn. The yarn, Feels Like Butta from Lion Brand Yarn has a soft texture. It is a unique tube yarn that is simple to work with.
I Love Fall Chunky Blanket – Free Crochet Pattern
11. Spider Stitch – Gray Modern Chunky Easy Beginner Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern
A free modern blanket pattern using the spider stitch and Caron Chunky Cakes Yarn.
The pattern is an uncompliated repeat that gives the unique pattern of the spider stitch in lines. I love cake yarn, because it give you lots of colors without lots of ends to weave in.
12. Front & Back Single & Double Crochet Stitch – Ocean Stripes Super Bulky Easy Beginner Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern – Free Printable PDF
A simple super bulky free Bernat yarn blanket using ocean, a pretty multicolored yarn. This pretty chunky crochet baby blanket pattern uses just 2 easy stitches so it would be great for your first project using Bernat Blanket Yarn.
13. Cluster Stitch – Free Gray & Green Quick Easy Striped Chunky Baby Blanket Bernat Yarn Crocheted Pattern
Use a simple double crochet cluster to make this cute boy baby blanket. This pattern is made using Bernat Blanket self striping yarn.
I love self striping or cake yarn. You get all the colors without tons of ends to weave in.
14. Granny Stripe Stitch or Cluster – Tidal Pool Chunky Crochet Blanket Pattern
15. Moss Stitch – Easy Beginner Chunky Crochet Blanket Pattern
This stitch is also know as the granite or linen crochet stitch. It gives the blanket a woven look.
The moss stitch pattern is an easy combination of the chain stitch and single crochet stitch
More Moss Stitch Crochet Blanket Patterns to Try
- Crochet Modern Moss Stitch Blanket
- Two Color Moss Stitch Baby Blanket Pattern
- Variegated Moss Stitch Waves and Rows Blanket
16. Spike Crochet Stitch Washcloth
This crochet stitch is a simple variation of the single crochet stitch. You do the spike the same way as a single crochet but you insert your hook in a different row than the row you are on.
17. Half Double V Stitch Washcloth
18. Primrose Crochet Stitch Beginner Dishcloth Pattern
Primrose Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Ripple Stitch Kitchen Dish Towel
This is one of the best crochet stitches for blanket because it is such a classic. This stitch is easy after you step up the first couple rows. This stitch is a little more advanced.
The pattern makes for an attractive blanket. There are lots of different ripple patterns.
Free Leaf Ripple Velvet Crochet Blanket Pattern – Printable PDF
Looking for a pretty crocheted ripple throw afghan? A throw that is soft and squishy but not too hard to make?
This free velvet leaf ripple crochet blanket pattern will be a great project to try. It only has two stitches, half double and half double crochet together.
This bulky yarn is a little thinner than most chunky yarns. It is a little hard to work with so it would not be a great beginner project.
Vintage White Super Chunky Chevron Throw Free Blanket Pattern
Easy Beginner Crochet Hat Patter PDF from a Rectangle
3. Single Double Dishcloth Free Crochet Pattern
This free cotton yarn dishcloth pattern makes a pretty diagonal pattern using only single and double crochet stitches.
4. Half Double Herringbone Free Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
5. Free Crunch Stitch Dishcloth Crochet Pattern
6. Half double crochet dishcloth pattern
7. 123 Sedge Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
8. C2C Moss stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
You can crochet on the bias and add stripes or not to make this dishcloth. There is a video if you are new to corner to corner crocheting.
9. Double Single Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
10. Joyful Crochet Dishcloth Free Pattern
This cotton dishcloth pattern is made alternating double and single crochet stitches great for beginners.
11. 4 Textured Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
12. Rustic Dishcloth Pattern
13. Crochet Spike Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
A modern dishcloth pattern in a solid color.
14. Textured Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
15. Crochet Moss Stitch Dishcloth Pattern Tutorial
16. Double Cluster Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
Make a cluster washcloth using the double crochet together stitch, which is easy to learn. It makes little groups of slightly raised puffs. This stitch would be great for a blanket too.
17. Bean Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
18. Crossed Double Crochet Washcloth Pattern – Free Printable PDF
Try this double crochet dishcloth pattern. It uses the double crochet stitch and a variation the crossed double. Dishcloths are a great beginner pattern or a way to try a new stitch without making a big project.
19. Wide Double Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
Make this easy crochet washcloth pattern using the wide double crochet pattern. The stitch is an easy variation of the double crochet stitch. This crocheted washcloth pattern works up fast.
20. Spider Stitch Free Crochet Washcloth Pattern
Try a new stitch with this easy free washcloth crochet pattern. The spider stitch is an easy stitch that uses single crochet and the chain stitch to make a pretty texture.
21. Even Moss Stitch Free Crochet Washcloth Pattern
22. Mesh Stitch Free Crochet Washcloth Pattern
23. Half Double Cluster Stitch Free Crochet Washcloth Pattern
More Free Easy Beginner Crochet Dishcloth Patterns to try.
- Corner-to-Corner Crochet Dishcloth Free Pattern
- Scrubby Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Breast Cancer Dishcloth Pattern
- Super Scrubby Crochet Dishcloth Free Pattern
- Bobble Crochet Phrases Dishcloth Patterns
- Mesh Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Kitchen Towel Set Crochet Pattern
- Cotton Cloths and Crochet Basket Pattern
- Tunisian Crochet Dishcloth Free Pattern
- Donut Dishcloth Free Crochet Pattern
- Rainbow Crochet Dishcloth Free Pattern
- Hanging Dishcloth Free Crochet Pattern
Ear Warmer Crochet Patterns for Beginners
Twisted Star Crochet Headband Pattern Free PDF
Candy Lane Chunky Crochet Headband Pattern
This winter headband crochet pattern using the crunch stitch which is an easy repeat of two basic stitches. This makes a thick warm headband.
Moss Stitch Winter Headband Crochet Pattern Free
Black Tweed Ear Warmer
Chunky Herringbone Ear Warmer
Textured Ear Warmer
Two-Toned Ear Warmer
Tie Dye Easy Crochet Headband Pattern Free PDF
Crochet Winter Scarf Patterns Free & Easy Beginner Ideas
1. Free Berry Chunky Winter Crochet Scarf Pattern
This crocheted winter scarf pattern is an easy repeat using the berry stitch. This gray tone scarf is made using Caron Chunky Cakes Yarn in Rice Pudding.
2. Barcelona Chunky Free Scarf Pattern
One skein is all you need for this front and back post double crochet stitch winter scarf pattern. I love the 2 strands twisted together in the yarn for lots of color.
3. Free Chunky Infinity Crochet Winter Scarf Pattern – Herringbone
I have more of the Caron Chunky Cakes Yarn so I made a herringbone winter crochet infinity scarf pattern. I love the mix of gray colors in this soft yarn. A fast pattern since the yarn is super bulky.
4. Easy Striped Men’s Crochet Scarf Pattern _ Free PDF
This easy unisex winter striped crochet scarf is an great beginner project. The yarn all comes on one spool or bobbin. This a lighter weight scarf made out of worsted weight yarn.
5. Autumn Sunset Crocheted Scarf- Free Printable PDF
Make this colorful scarf in your two favorite colors. This free winter crochet scarf pattern is an easy repeat with just 2 color changes.
6. Unicorn Dreams Scarf Crochet Pattern Free Printable
This free colorful winter scarf crochet pattern is made out of pretty variegated yarn. It is a great beginner project. The crochet pattern uses the moss stitch, which is a simple repeat of single crochet and chain stitches.
7. Pink & Gray Puff Chunky Scarf Crochet Pattern
8. Double Dot Chunky Scarf Crochet Pattern- free PDF
9. Easy V Stitch Crochet Scarf – Beginner Pattern- Free Printable PDF
10. Free Golden Brown Crochet Pattern for Infinity Scarf
This free crochet pattern for an infinity scarf is an easy repeat of the primrose stitch. The crochet pattern uses Lion Brand Mandala which is pretty multicolored cake yarn.
11. Easy Crochet Pattern for a Infinity Scarf – Free Printable PDF Available
This free & easy crochet pattern for an infinity scarf is uses basic stitches to make a great texture. This color block scarf is an easy repeat using Lion Brand Mandala Yarn.
More Crochet Winter Scarf Patterns Free & Easy
- 13. Wanderlust Scarf
- 14. Malia Infinity Scarf
- 15. Textured Infinity Scarf
- 16. Boho Tassel Scarf
- 17. Snow Puff Ribbed Scarf
- 18. Heidi Hooded Scarf
- 19. Winter Melancholy Scarf
- 20. Alpine Nights Scarf
- 21. Super Simple Vanilla Wrap Scarf
- 22. Buffalo Plaid Scarf
- 23. The Hopewell Crochet Scarf
- 24. Winter Woods Scarf
- 25. Simple Scarf for Men
- 26. Enchanted Moments Puff Stitch Infinity Scarf
- 27. Fluffy Clouds Infinity Scarf Pattern
- 28. Aspen Infinity Scarf
- 29. Unicorn Tracks Scarf
- 30. Wrap me in Diamonds scarf
- 31. Spring’s Arrival Scarf – Free Crochet Infinity Pattern
- 32. Cluster Stitch Scarf Pattern
Free Winter Crochet Patterns
- 31 Free Crochet Patterns for Infinity Scarves
- Striped Men’s Crochet Scarf
- Chunky Infinity Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Berry Chunky Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Autumn Sunset Crochet Scarf Pattern
- Barcelona Chunky Crochet Scarf Pattern – Free
- Cowl – Free pattern
- Ear Warmer – Free pattern
- Cranberry Chunky Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Free Two Tone Ear Warmer
- 25 Free Easy Ear Warmer
- Free Textured Ear Warmer
- Free Chunky Herringbone Headband Pattern
- Black Tweed Chunky Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
- Easy Beginner Moss Stitch Scarf Pattern
Free Easy Beginner Crochet Patterns to Try
- Beginner How to Bulky Yarn Baby Blanket
- Even Berry Dish Cloth Crochet Pattern
- Herringbone Dish Cloth Crochet Pattern
- Beginner Ocean Stripe Baby Blanket – free crochet pattern
- Blue Stripe Baby Boy Crochet Blanket Pattern – Free
- 19 Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns – Great for Cleaning
- Moss Stitch Crochet Cowl Pattern Free
- Moss Stitch Winter Headband Crochet Pattern Free
- Beginner Moss Stitch Scarf
- Chunky Herringbone Throw
- Granny Square Crochet Pattern
- Easy Double Thick Potholder
- Knotted headband
- Face scrubbies
- Pretty flowers
- Cup cozy
- iPhone case
- Flower coasters
Free Easy Beginner Crochet Videos YouTube
- Beginner Crochet Blanket Pattern Video! – YouTube
- 5 BEGINNER CROCHET PATTERNS in under 30 Minutes Video – YouTube!
- HOW TO CROCHET A FAST AND EASY BLANKET VIDEO – YouTube
- Make an Easy Beginner Suzette Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern Video – YouTube
- Make a Waffle Stitch Dishcloth Pattern Video – YouTube
- Make a Waffle Stitch Potholder Pattern Video – You Tube
- Easy Crochet Blanket | Bag O Day Crochet Tutorial Video – YouTube
- How To Crochet A Blanket For Absolute Beginners Video – YouTube
- Beginner Friendly/Bulky Yarn/ The Sugar Plum Fairy Blanket Video – YouTube
- Crochet Beginner Throw Pattern Video – YouTube
- Absolute Beginner Hat Crochet Pattern Video – YouTube
- Easy Basic Beanie Crochet Hat Pattern Video – YouTube
Easy Beginner Guide – Learn How to Crochet Right-Handed and Left-Handed
Easy Beginner Crochet Yarn
For a crochet beginner, I would choose gauge 4 worsted yarn in acrylic. This is an average medium yarn that is easy to get and work with.
You can find the gauge of the yarn on the label, as well as, what it is made out of. You will be looking for gauge 4. I would stay away from cotton, velvet or chenille yarn for your beginning projects.
Beginner Crochet Hook
For the crochet hook, I would purchase a set of metal hooks, including a size H or 5 mm hook. I have found that the metal hooks are easy to work with.
There are affiliate links in this post. I will receive a small commission if you purchase through these links at no additional cost to you.
How to Crochet for Beginners – Easy Crochet Beginner Guide
- H, 5 mm crochet hook
- gauge 4 acrylic yarn
- Tapestry needle ( large blunt needle)
How to Tie a Slip Knot – Easy Crochet Beginner Guide
The first thing you need to know, after the hook and yarn for how to crochet for beginners is a slip knot. You use a slip knot to put the yarn to the hook.
You can make a slip knot and then tighten it around the hook or you can make the slip knot around the hook. I make a slip knot and then tightened it snug around the hook, but not too tight.
First, cross the yarn and hold the x between your fingers, with the short piece on the left.
Then, holding the x, put your fingers in the loop.
Form a loop, you pull on the short side of the yarn into the loop, while holding on the the short end of the yarn.
Pull on the loop you made until small enough to fit snugly around the crochet hook. Make sure you hold both pieces of yarn while you pull through the loop. Then pull on the short end to tighten around the hook.
More Tip on How to Tie a Slip Knot
- How to Tie a Slip Knot – Right Handed Written
- How to Tie a Slip Knot – Right Handed Video
- Left Handed Written- How to Tie a Slip Knot
- How to Tie a Slip Knot – Left Handed Video
How to Hold the Crochet Hook – Easy Beginner Crochet Guide
This way to hold the crochet hook is just as it sounds, like a pencil. Hold between you fingers and thumb like you would a pencil or pen around the area where the size in printed.
Right handed how to hold a crochet hook video
You can also try the knife grip, which is like holding a dinner knife. It is an overhand grip. It is said to be more exact then the pencil grip but it’s all preference.
Hold the crochet hook like a dinner knife around the indented part of the hook with a finger on top to stead the hook.
This is the way I hold my crochet hook and find it the most comfortable. There is said to be a preference for lefties to use the knife grip, so make sure to try both.
Easy How To Hold a Crochet Hook Right & Left Handed – Video & Tutorials
- How to Hold a Crochet Hook Right Handed – Video
- How To Hold a Crochet Hook Left Handed – Video
- Written Tutorial – How To Hold a Crochet Hook Right Handed
How to Hold the Yarn – Easy Beginner Crochet Guide
You hold your crochet hook in your dominant hand and you feed your yarn from the skein or ball through your other hand. This keeps the tension of your yarn even.
Holding the yarn around the hook with your dominant hand, put the yarn around your index finger and between the next finger. I use my pinky finger to help control how fast the yarn is fed through my fingers. Use your thumb and index finger to help control the yarn.
Lift up on your index finger to pull some yarn to make your stitch.
How to Crochet for Beginners Chain Stitch
The first crochet stitch you will need to learn is the chain crochet stitch. This stitch is how you will start all of your projects. The chain stitch is usually abbreviated ch. You count your chain stitches by the top curve. You will want to count as you chain.
To do the chain stitch, first you have the slip knot snug on your hook, holding the hook in your preferred grip, and your yarn threaded through your opposite hand. The slip knot needs to be close to the indention on the hook with the hook part facing up.
Next, lay the yarn over the hook using your opposite hand. This is called yarn over. Then twist the hook to catch the yarn. Then pull the hook through the loop.
You repeat the steps for the number of chains that are required for your pattern. You want each chain a similar size.
I hold the tail of the slip knot with my right hand (opposite of the hook). A little lose for chain stitches is better than too tight stitches If your project starts to ripple, then your chain stitches are likely too tight.
You will want to practice the chain stitch until you have an even stitches of the same size.
How to Easy Crochet for Beginners Chain Stitch Right & Left Handed – Video & Tutorial
- Written Right Handed – How to Crochet for Beginners Chain Stitch
- How to Crochet for Beginners Chain Stitch – Video Right Handed
- Written Left Handed – How to Crochet for Beginners Chain Stitch
- How to Crochet for Beginners Chain Stitch – Video Left Handed
How to Single Crochet (UK – Double Crochet) – Easy Beginner Crochet Guide
After you have the chain stitch mastered, you will want to learn the single crochet stitch. In the UK, the same stitch is called double crochet.
When you get to crochet pattern reading you will want to double check the terms and abbreviations used so there is no confusion.
After completing your chain stitches, insert your hook in the 2nd chain from the hook.
Next, yarn over. Then pull up a loop, twist the hook and put the yarn through making 2 loops on the hook.
Then, yarn over again and pull through the 2 loops on the hook. Stitch completed.
After finishing your row, chain 1 and turn (in a pattern you would follow the steps stated).
Next, row 2: insert your hook in the top of the stitch next to the turning chain you just made, and make a single crochet. You want to insert your hook under the V shape formed. Repeat across to the end of the run. Chain 1 and turn. Then repeat row 2 until you have the number of rows you want.
Tip: Make sure you put a stitch in each stitch, not including the turning chain and make sure every row has the same amount of stitches. Don’t forget the chain 1 you made the row before. It can be hard to see.
Double Crochet Stitch – (UK Treble Crochet)
After you learn the single crochet stitch you will want to learn the double crochet stitch. This stitch is know as the treble in UK terms.
In the 4th chain from the hook, yarn over and insert your hook into the chain space.
Yarn over again and pull through the stitch, also called pulling up a loop.
Yarn over again and pull through the first two loops on the hook.
Yarn over and pull through the remaining loops on your hook. Stitch completed.
To complete the row, do one double crochet in each chain stitch. Chain 3 after the last double crochet. Turn.
Row 2: double crochet in the 2nd stitch, not the the one with the turning chain. Then double crochet in each stitch until the end of the row. Make sure the last double crochet is in the turning chain from the row below. Chain 3. Turn.
Repeat row 2 until you have the size you want.
You will want to count your stitches and make sure you are not adding or subtracting which is a common beginner problem.
Pin for Later